By Matthew Bonanno
The government has announced plans to collaborate with the Church to build at least 260 new housing units that will be on sale to eligible members of the public at 30 per cent below the market price. The project was announced by the Foundation For Affordable Housing, a joint venture between the government and the Archdiocese of Malta. The homes will be developed on four sites in Kirkop, Fgura, Ta鈥 Giorni in St Julian鈥檚, and Marsascala. The sites were transferred to the foundation by the Housing Authority under a perpetual emphyteusis. Some of the land had been passed from the Church to the state in 1993. To be eligible, single individuals aged between 25 and 34 must have a maximum gross annual income of 鈧29,000 and a net worth no higher than 鈧45,000. For single individuals aged 35 and above, the maximum gross annual income is set at 鈧33,000, with the same maximum net worth. For couples, the combined maximum gross annual income must be 鈧36,000, and their combined maximum net worth 鈧75,000. If the oldest partner is aged 35 or above, the combined maximum gross annual income increases to 鈧38,000, while the combined net worth stays at 鈧75,000. Buyers will also have the opportunity to convert their temporary ownership to a perpetual one after 20 years by paying the difference between the affordable and market price. The call for tenders for the project opens on July 8 and will close at the start of autumn. The winning bids will be selected based on a formula that calculates the best price to quality ratio. Design, aesthetics and sustainability goals will also be taken into consideration. While the tender calls for a minimum of 260 units, bidders may propose more units if they demonstrate that they can maximise space. The foundation aims to begin selling units in 2027, and to complete the buildings in 2028. FAH CEO Jake Azzopardi said that while figures showed around 85 per cent of Maltese people own their own homes, the foundation was aware of the social and economic realities that many individuals and families face. 鈥淭he target group of this initiative is the so-called stretched class 鈥 those whose income is too high to qualify for social housing but struggle to afford property at today鈥檚 prices,鈥 he said. Azzopardi added that the model guarantees buyers an affordable path to home ownership, and developers a fair return on their investment without room for speculation. Prime Minister Robert Abela said the project was an innovative model that reinforced the government鈥檚 mission to ensure that everyone has access to a home. 鈥淚 entered politics because I believe in the principle of social mobility. Not everyone has the same path in life. Some people come from humble beginnings and hit the ground running, while others take time to find their way. The latter depend on a social safety net,鈥 Abela said. Abela added that the initiative built upon a series of other government measures aimed at supporting homeownership. These include assistance for first-time buyers, such as the 鈧10,000 grant spread over a ten-year period, and an additional scheme offering up to 鈧9,000 for those investing in sustainable property. Archbishop Charles Scicluna welcomed the project, describing it as a tangible expression of society鈥檚 enduring commitment to social and economic justice. 鈥淎ccess to safe and dignified housing is not just a material concern, but a moral one. Every person, regardless of income, deserves a place to call home,鈥 Scicluna said. Minister for Social and Affordable Accommodation Roderick Galdes said the project marks another important step in turning the dreams of many families into reality. 鈥淭hrough this initiative, we are recognising the hard work of our families and supporting them in fulfilling their aspirations to become homeowners,鈥 he said.